Fatheadz Racing Series: Get To Know Dave Darland
Fatheadz Owner Rico Elmore is passionate about auto racing. Always has been. As a young boy, he fell in love with the hustle and bustle that revolves around speed, a track and the finish line.
So it’s no surprise that as a business owner, Rico is even more passionate about racing. Not only as a fan, but also as a corporate sponsor. Fatheadz proudly supports a number of racing drivers and teams, and we want you to meet them. In the weeks ahead, we’ll introduce you to the entire list of Fatheadz drivers, but for now, we’ll start with Dave Darland.
Known as The People's Champ, Dave Darland is an Open Wheel Sprint Car, Midget and Silver Crown driver. And with over 30 years of racing experience under his belt, he also happens to be the USAC National Sprint Car All-Time Feature Winner.
Born in Kokomo, Indiana in 1966, Dave (a.k.a. Double D) is married with three children, and grandfather to three more. He started quarter-midget racing when he was just four years old, and at age 16, he and his dad (who was always a race fan) built their first sprint car. The rest, as they say, is history.
- U.S.A.C. Triple Crown Champion (1 of 5)
- 53 time USAC National Sprint Car Winner (most of all time)
- 22 years straight with a USAC National Win (no. 1 in history)
- Three-time Indiana Sprint Week Champion
- No. 7 on USAC's All Time Win List with Jack Hewitt
- King of Indiana Sprint Cars Series Champion (2011)
- Two-time Hut 100 Midget Winner at Terra Haute Action Track
- Three-time Hoosier Auto Racing Fans "Driver of the Year"
- Three-time Oval Nationals Winner at Perris Auto Speedway
- Two-time Belleville Midget Nationals Champion
- Two-time Turkey Night Grand Prix Winner (Irwindale & Perris)
- No. 1 all time in total wins during Indiana Sprint Week
- Winner of the $10k To Win Ron Shuman Classic at Lakeside Speedway
- Won over 100 career Sprint Car A-Mains together with his father Robert (Bob), all won in the #36D
- Two-time Kokomo Speedway Smackdown Winner (2013 & 2014)
- Three-time H.A.R.F. Driver of the year (1994-1997-1999)
- 1995 Buckeye Auto Racing Fan Club Driver of the Year
- Three-time Arnie Knepper Memorial award recipient
- Fifteen-time I.S.W. Feature Winner - ranks no. 1 on the All Time Indiana Sprint Week win list
- Two-time Larry Rice High Performance Award Winner during the 4 Crown Nationals at Eldora Speedway
Hall of Fames
- 2005 inductee into the Hoosier Auto Racing Fans Hall of Fame with his hero Butch Wilkerson
- 2012 inductee into The Belleville Midget Nationals Hall of Fame in Belleville, Kansas